Under the Southern Cross we Stand, a sprig of Wattle in our hand

Interesting, since I expect the Australasian design philosophy will look more like the OTL US and Japanese carriers. They were intended for open Pacific operations unlike the British carriers which worried more about enemy land-based air.

For that matter, another area to look forward to is any ITTL arms limitation treaties. I wonder what a Washington Naval treaty looks like ITTL. Presumably it will have six main signatories, assuming the Germans lose and the Russians collapse, putting both of them out of the naval competition.

I would expect something like the OTL Washington treaty with rough equality between the US and the British. However, what happens below that? The simplest guess is something like the Japanese in third, but does Australasia try to stay equal to Japan, or equal to the French and Italians.

My guess is something like 200,000-250,000 tons of capital ships for Australasia, under Japan but above the French and Italians. This assumes the USN and RN have about 500,000 tons each and Japan gets 300,000 tons. I am assuming something like Washington will happen, although it may well not be in Washington. I don't think anybody will really want to continue a naval arms race after the war and few if any will be able to afford it.

I am assuming a smaller total for Australasia because I think its economy is smaller than Japans.
Post war could be interesting, yes. It think, in the event of what you have written, that Australasia may get a tonnage allocation more like Italy and France. For a country with 1/4 the population of France, this would be quite a reasonable allocation. Also, even though the navy, much like in the UK, is seen as the senior service, the current numbers of 8 battleships and four pre dreadnoughts is way more than can normally be manned in any non war situation. Manning has already become a problem and it's only 1915.

30 April 1915 - Guns and armour New
30 April 1915, Gun Hall No 1, Armidale, New England, Protectorate of Australasia

The triple turrets for the Combined Island were well advanced now. Chief of Naval Construction Troy Niven also looked over the 330mm/L46 guns that would comprise their main armament and again wondered if the navy was being left behind by staying with the 13 inch gun. When first deployed, it was considered superior to the British, American, Italian, Russian, French and Japanese 12 inch guns, let alone the German 11 inch. The pace of development had moved on, however, with the British building 15 inch, as were the Germans and Italians. The Japanese and Americans had their 14 inch, as had the Russians, the French had their 13.4 inch.

A smaller gun allowed greater armour protection and speed, however, the guns was the main weapon of the ships and the 13 inch had largely remained unchanged. Range was not so much the issue as the 13/L46 turrets on all dreadnoughts could elevate to 22 degrees.

He had no data for most guns, however, did have comparable figures for the 13 inch against the Royal Navy 12 and 13 inch varieties. These were:

Royal Navy 12 inch/45 Mark X - Range: 18,065m at 15 degrees, Shell weight: 386kg, armour penetration at 10,000m: 255mm
12 inch/50 Mark XII - Range 19,380m at 15 degrees, Shell weight: 386kg, armour penetration at 10,000m: 270mm
13.5 inch/45 Light - Range 18,435m at 15 degrees, 20,780m at 20 degrees, Shell weight 567kg, armour penetration at 10,000m:300mm
13.5 inch/45 Heavy - Range 18,425m at 15 degrees, 20,780m at 20 degrees, Shell weight 635kg, armour penetration at 10,000m:310mm
13 inch/L46 Australasian - Range 18,825m at 15 degrees, 22,100m at 22 degrees, Shell weight 530kg, armour penetration at 10,000m: 290mm

The guns was becoming outmoded, it was true, but was a reliable weapon with a low rate of dispersal. Gods knows, with the latest developments between Japan and China, such guns may well be needed all too soon. One area that had seen significant development was the production of armour plate. In the 1890's, the Bald Nob copper mine in New England was producing large amounts of molybdenum and it had been discovered as early as 1906 that the addition of 0.3% molybdenum to standard Krupp cemented armour improved the hardness by as much as 15%. This knowledge had been kept secret and the by product became a significant earner for the mine. This was all to the good, as Australasian heavy industry could still not produce cemented armour sheets with a thickness of greater than 240mm, so certain vital areas of the current Combined Island Class belt, barbettes and turrets had 240mm backed by 20mm of bakelite and a second sheet of armour some 50mm thick.

Last edited:
Gun Hall No 1, Armidale, New England, Protectorate of Australasia

The triple turrets for the Combined Island were well advanced now. Chief of Naval Construction Troy Niven also looked over the 330mm/L46 guns that would comprise their main armament and again wondered if the navy was being left behind by staying with the 13 inch gun. When first deployed, it was considered superior to the British, American, Italian, Russian, French and Japanese 12 inch guns, let alone the German 11 inch. The pace of development had moved on, however, with the British building 15 inch, as were the Germans and Italians. The Japanese and Americans had their 14 inch, as had the Russians, the French had their 13.4 inch.

A smaller gun allowed greater armour protection and speed, however, the guns was the main weapon of the ships and the 13 inch had largely remained unchanged. Range was not so much the issue as the 13/L46 turrets on all dreadnoughts could elevate to 21 degrees.

He had no data for most guns, however, did have comparable figures for the 13 inch against the Royal Navy 12 and 13 inch varieties. These were:

Royal Navy 12 inch/45 Mark X - Range: 18,065m at 15 degrees, Shell weight: 386kg, armour penetration at 10,000m: 255mm
12 inch/50 Mark XII - Range 19,380m at 15 degrees, Shell weight: 386kg, armour penetration at 10,000m: 270mm
13.5 inch/45 Light - Range 18,435m at 15 degrees, 20,780m at 20 degrees, Shell weight 567kg, armour penetration at 10,000m:300mm
13.5 inch/45 Heavy - Range 18,425m at 15 degrees, 20,780m at 20 degrees, Shell weight 635kg, armour penetration at 10,000m:310mm
I don't see a date, but assume it is in April or May 1915. In addition to the British, German, and Italian 15" guns, the US has already built a 16"/45 gun and the Japanese are contemplating the Nagato class with 16.1" guns. They would be even more evidence for why the Australasian navy should be looking for a new gun.

from wiki
However, while the General Board approved the 16-inch gun as early as 1911, George von Lengerke Meyer, the Secretary of the Navy, felt that a move to the larger gun caliber would make capital ships still on the drawing board obsolete. For this reason, he restricted the Bureau of Ordnance to proceed no further than blueprints for the new gun as a hedge against foreign developments. He finally approved construction of this gun in October 1912 and the weapon was test-fired successfully in August 1914. This success, along with the unofficial news in several naval publications of 15- and 16-inch weapons being adopted by the United Kingdom, Italy, Germany and Japan, led the Board to consider cancelling the construction of the Pennsylvania class in favor of an up-gunned design.

They didn't get approval to build the Colorados until 1916 (they were the 1917 battleship design), but the US naval 16"/45 has already been test fired.

Last edited:
I don't see a date, but assume it is in April or May 1915. In addition to the British, German, and Italian 15" guns, the US has already built a 16"/45 gun and the Japanese are contemplating the Nagato class with 16.1" guns. They would be even more evidence for why the Australasian navy should be looking for a new gun.

from wiki

They didn't get approval to build the Colorados until 1916 (they were the 1917 battleship design), but the US naval 16"/45 has already been test fired.
Sorry, I somehow managed to post it without finishing it.

1 May 1915 - An offer refused New
1 May 1915, The Hague, Kingdom of the Netherlands

It really was the most extraordinary proposal and one that he yearned to accept, remembering as he did his own time in the East Indies. All of Papua New Guinea, aside from the Fly River area that was now part of North Australia. In exchange for just Dutch Timor and a couple of small nearby islands. It would result in a huge increase in territory for The Netherlands.

Yet there were political considerations as well. The territory was German, before being seized and annexed by Australasia. The Germans would view poorly exchange of territory they still viewed as their own. How that would affect Dutch neutrality remained to be seen. Yet it was a very tempting offer. It was to produce wrangle in Dutch politics that was to last a full three weeks, one that was only resolved by an eventual refusal that day after Japan declared war on China on the 19th May, followed by a reciprocal declaration of war on Japan by Australasia the following day.

Looks like this really will be World War, with major combat in the Pacific. So far, IIRC most of the action has been either in Europe or near Europe, with some smaller actions outside it. Assuming the Chinese fight, this is going to get messy.

One interesting possibility is the US might get involved for a Pacific war like OTL, but 20 years early so more battleships and next to no carriers.

Looks like this really will be World War, with major combat in the Pacific. So far, IIRC most of the action has been either in Europe or near Europe, with some smaller actions outside it. Assuming the Chinese fight, this is going to get messy.

One interesting possibility is the US might get involved for a Pacific war like OTL, but 20 years early so more battleships and next to no carriers.
The USA may well be drawn into a war, however, that took a long time historically, with an isolationist President. I cannot see it happening quickly. If it does, yes, it will be a battleship war.