A Better Rifle at Halloween

I am surprised that they didn’t make more effective common cause with each other. They certainly had some of the same enemies.
The white working class in the north were as racist as the rest of American society. Attempts to bridge the two groups together never really managed to get off the ground

Currently the artillery spotting units were using a variety of primitive communications methods to direct the guns, but there was a joint anglo-french project. Initiated pre-war by the RNAS, working on mounting a radio into the artillery spotting aircraft to establish at least a one way link between the observer in the air and the artillery battery on the ground. It was thought that a workable prototype was no more than a few weeks away.
This is actually a little later than OTL then. The first use of a radio transmitter in an aircraft in Britain happened not long after Samuel Cody’s first powered flight in 1908. When the RFC went to France in 1914 they took a number of aircraft fitted with Lefroy, Leslie Miller and Rouzet transmitters with them. They first saw use at the Battle of the Marne in September 1914. The more standardized Sterling set (later developed into the Wireless Transmitter Type 1 and later the Type 58 and its variants) wasn’t used until Neuve Chapelle in March 1915 but aerial communication was in some use almost right from the start of the war.

This is actually a little later than OTL then. The first use of a radio transmitter in an aircraft in Britain happened not long after Samuel Cody’s first powered flight in 1908. When the RFC went to France in 1914 they took a number of aircraft fitted with Lefroy, Leslie Miller and Rouzet transmitters with them. They first saw use at the Battle of the Marne in September 1914. The more standardized Sterling set (later developed into the Wireless Transmitter Type 1 and later the Type 58 and its variants) wasn’t used until Neuve Chapelle in March 1915 but aerial communication was in some use almost right from the start of the war.
Thanks for that the work on the Sterling set is interesting, I will probably refer to it directly as the story progresses.

They did! The issue is, they never managed to get a majority of the working class convicted of racial equality.
Part of that was probably the fear that rather than black workers being treated better and wages raised to match white workers the bosses would use the excuse of making everyone equal to lower the wages and toughen the working conditions of white workers to match those suffered by black workers.

The white working class in the north were as racist as the rest of American society. Attempts to bridge the two groups together never really managed to get off the ground

Just for context, it wasn't just anti-black racism in this era. Anti-Irish. Anti-Polish. Anti-Italian. And in those groups they often didn't like the other groups either.

I remember my grandmother (born in 1914 in County Cork, Ireland to a Protestant home that they would eventually lose) asking me about a high school girlfriend one time: "She's not Catholic is she?"

The tribalism whether racial or religious was awful back then and we should be very proud of the successes we've subsequently made. My two boys are currently in elementary school and unless you specifically asked them about it, they don't even see skin colour which is the way it should be. It's beautiful to see.

Just for context, it wasn't just anti-black racism in this era. Anti-Irish. Anti-Polish. Anti-Italian. And in those groups they often didn't like the other groups either.
From what I can tell in the US in 1914 it went like this
White Anglo Saxon Protestant first
Then Northern European Protestant Second
then Northern European Catholic
Eastern European
Mediterranean Catholic
Mediterranean Orthodox
Jew
Middle eastern

then a big gap

Japanese
Irish and Chinese
Native American
Black

Last edited:
Yeah it’s difficult to build a working class coalition when the working class is not unified and actively hate and/or murder each other.

In the Pacific
7th October 1914, Pacific Ocean

Vice Admiral Maximilian Reichsgraf von Spee stood on the flag bridge of SMS Scharnhorst, the visit to the Marquesas Islands had been a success. The ships had mainly loaded food and fruit after bluffing the local administration. The fish taken aboard had been excellent while it lasted, the vegetables were exotic saving the rather insipid yams, the fruit was sublime, and its novelty helped to reduce the monotony of naval rations. Unfortunately, the pork was not so good, being very strong tasting, something von Spee personally attributed to feed available to the local pigs.
The squadron was not fully concentrated, consisting of SMS Scharnhorst, SMS Gneisenau and SMS Nürnberg, plus attached colliers. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were both armoured cruisers of almost 13000 tonnes displacement, both ships were of the same class. Each was equipped with 8 21cm guns in two fore and aft twin turrets with the remaining four guns in single gun casemates on the superstructure. The secondary armament consisted of 6 15cm guns in single gun casemate mounts, anti-torpedo boat defence consisted of 18 8.8cm guns. Both ships were heavily armoured with armour thickness ranging from 200mm on the forward conning tower sides down to 20mm for the roof of the rear conning tower.
SMS Nurnberg was a light cruiser of 3400 t displacement, armed with 10 10.5cm guns in single gun pedestal mounts and 8 5.2cm guns. Like the two armoured cruisers, Nurnberg carried her torpedos in submerged tubes. Nurnberg carried proportionally less armour than the heavier ships and it was thinner consisting of an armoured deck of up to 80mm, the conning tower carried 100mm of armour as well, with gun shields protecting the guns.
Von Spee expected SMS Dresden and SMS Leipzig to join at Easter Island, his squadron would then be complete. After his ships refuelled from the accompanying colliers, his squadron would be able to proceed round Cape Horn, to destroy the radio station on the Falkland Islands or hary British shipping. The carrying trade from South America and Africa was vital to the Entente war effort, bringing vital supplies of food and raw materials, not to mention the Gold which flowed from South Africa’s mines.
The Admiral was untroubled by thoughts of the future, his role in this war was to tie down as many Entente ships as possible for as long as possible. He, doubted any of his ships would make it back to Germany but he would cause as much trouble for the Royal Navy as he could prior to his destruction.

I am currently in PNG and the pork here has a very strong flavour, it's much more porky than what you would get from commercially produced pigs. Long pork is still consumed here occasionally according to some of my colleagues, including a gentleman who is known as AK47.
Hmm. Wasn’t long pork, was it?

Hmm. Wasn’t long pork, was it?
I am currently in PNG and the pork here has a very strong flavour, it's much more porky than what you would get from commercially produced pigs. Long pork is still consumed here occasionally according to some of my colleagues, including a gentleman who is known as AK47.
Wild Boar, Feral and Near Feral Pig has a different, stronger flavour to domestic pig. It's best not to think too much about what the omnivores have been eating as pigs will eat anything, including human waste.

Last edited:

Ramontxo

Donor
There is a boar hunting season in Navarre. The rest of the year boars seem to throw themselves in front of cars (that surprisingly are lucky enough not to have hits on their bodywork). My father was invited to a dinner where they were going to try to eat a whole "Atropellado" one (it was hard work but they made it). The boar had been left to macerate for a whole week and you had to look for little pellets of lead...

Edited to add that I have never kill an living being* and have never (or will ever) possess an weapon. But I have firends which are "Baserritarras" (Basque farmers) and believe me Boars are a pest

*.I made that promise to a girl (that happened to be my friend) and a Christmas I asked the fishmonger to bring me really fresh shrimps for an concoction I had in mind. That is the only time I have failed on that.

Last edited:

[Googles 'Long Pork' ... lies down]

[Googles 'Long Pork' ... lies down]
Sometimes you really don't want to know.

When people say you should always respect other peoples cultural practices I don't think they really understand what that means. Just because somethings are traditional doesn't mean they shouldn't be stamped out.

Last edited:
Sometimes you really don't want to know.

When people say you should always respect other peoples cultural practices I don't think they really understand what that means. Just because somethings are traditional doesn't mean they shouldn't be stamped out.
Additionally the process of stamping it out is frequently... not great.
Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.

Additionally the process of stamping it out is frequently... not great.
Sadly it seems up here that things are getting worse, not sure if cannibalism has increased but tribal fighting has certainly got bloodier. PNG suffers from the resource curse, I don't see it improving any time soon.

I’d speculate that rather than a resource curse rather the issue is a ruling class unable to manage its own corruption and effectively bring people within the tent. Consider NSW. Resource cursed from the beginning. But despite attempts to form cliques or correctly bureaucratically manage, NSW managed to form effective corruption and get enough Scot’s foremen and later labour politicians bought off with drink or other peoples land.

7th October 1914, Pacific Ocean

Vice Admiral Maximilian Reichsgraf von Spee stood on the flag bridge of SMS Scharnhorst, the visit to the Marquesas Islands had been a success. The ships had mainly loaded food and fruit after bluffing the local administration. The fish taken aboard had been excellent while it lasted, the vegetables were exotic saving the rather insipid yams, the fruit was sublime, and its novelty helped to reduce the monotony of naval rations. Unfortunately, the pork was not so good, being very strong tasting, something von Spee personally attributed to feed available to the local pigs.
The squadron was not fully concentrated, consisting of SMS Scharnhorst, SMS Gneisenau and SMS Nürnberg, plus attached colliers. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were both armoured cruisers of almost 13000 tonnes displacement, both ships were of the same class. Each was equipped with 8 21cm guns in two fore and aft twin turrets with the remaining four guns in single gun casemates on the superstructure. The secondary armament consisted of 6 15cm guns in single gun casemate mounts, anti-torpedo boat defence consisted of 18 8.8cm guns. Both ships were heavily armoured with armour thickness ranging from 200mm on the forward conning tower sides down to 20mm for the roof of the rear conning tower.
SMS Nurnberg was a light cruiser of 3400 t displacement, armed with 10 10.5cm guns in single gun pedestal mounts and 8 5.2cm guns. Like the two armoured cruisers, Nurnberg carried her torpedos in submerged tubes. Nurnberg carried proportionally less armour than the heavier ships and it was thinner consisting of an armoured deck of up to 80mm, the conning tower carried 100mm of armour as well, with gun shields protecting the guns.
Von Spee expected SMS Dresden and SMS Leipzig to join at Easter Island, his squadron would then be complete. After his ships refuelled from the accompanying colliers, his squadron would be able to proceed round Cape Horn, to destroy the radio station on the Falkland Islands or hary British shipping. The carrying trade from South America and Africa was vital to the Entente war effort, bringing vital supplies of food and raw materials, not to mention the Gold which flowed from South Africa’s mines.
The Admiral was untroubled by thoughts of the future, his role in this war was to tie down as many Entente ships as possible for as long as possible. He, doubted any of his ships would make it back to Germany but he would cause as much trouble for the Royal Navy as he could prior to his destruction.

Genuinely hoping Reichsgraf von Spee and his sons survive. From what I have read he was a genuinely decent sort, and I doubt he'd have had any truck with Nazism, though he would be in his seventies by the time it came around. Possibly a good candidate for leadership in the Reichsmarine come the reconstruction of post-war Germany.