A Blunted Sickle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool update. The blood will be flowing amongst the German Generals, the French will be sharpening the Guillotines for the own traitors and German War Criminals, and we might see a quasi-Tripartite Treaty shaping up.

Messy future predictions and we shall see what comes true.

I have voted and I encourage anyone who has not to give this story the recognition it deserves.

Good to see Herr Flick is alive. Maybe he will be more successful here than his attempts to retrieve a certain painting of the Madonna with the big .....:)

I do hope Leutnant Gruber and his klein panzer got out of Paris before the pocket closed :)

Really enjoyed reading this so far pdf.

Good to see Herr Flick is alive. Maybe he will be more successful here than his attempts to retrieve a certain painting of the Madonna with the big .....:)
Apparently it was a local treasure to Nouvion, so it's on the wrong side of the lines for him to get to...

I do hope Leutnant Gruber and his klein panzer got out of Paris before the pocket closed :)
Most of the Panzers got out, although their supporting arms got badly mauled so the odds are he's back in Germany. I'm not going to include too many pop-culture references (this Herr Flick, for instance, doesn't resemble the Allo Allo one very much), but the name was too good to pass up!

Really enjoyed reading this so far pdf.
Thanks.

The fate of Huntziger can go etheir way, but his military carrer is over. Recovering 20,000 men is nice as well for the french.

John Farson

Banned
If things in China go roughly as OTL, then in a few days or so the CCP should begin the Hundred Regiments Offensive against the Japanese in order to show that they're helping with the war effort as well as to mend relations with the KMT. With the Japanese remaining bogged down in the southern coast instead of withdrawing to their coastal enclaves like OTL, the result might be an even bigger victory for the CCP with the Japanese stretched more thin.

Either way, should the Japanese suffer setbacks, this could provoke them into launching their Sanko Sakusen or "Three Alls Policy" later in the year, which would probably make the Americans more hostile towards the Japanese once word got out.

Only 13 votes off the lead in the Turtledoves now, out of 325 cast. So for all you lurkers out there, please register and then vote here. Remember, votes feed starving writers!

As someone who voted for your main competitor because I wasn't yet familiar with your brilliant TL, whomever wins the Turtledove in this category will richly deserve it.

Vive la faucille émoussée :)

Well Pdf27 is within 3 votes as of now. Getting down to the wire. :eek:

The bribes in the backrooms are flowing folks. Get then while their hot. :D

Finally, there are many who would like to see Hitler gone, but fewer who were actually willing to do anything about it...

The more vehement Hitler is about purging the army, the more generals who will decide that the army must act in self-defense.

... and fewer still who would be willing to accept the sort of terms the Allies would be dictating at this point. By now Germany would be very lucky indeed to get the Versailles borders plus large reparations - and that's probably too bitter a pill for the conspirators to swallow.

I don't see the Allies trying to dictate harsh terms at this point. The French know that they came perilously close to total defeat, and that they were lucky Paris wasn't wrecked. They need the war over ASAP more than they want draconian terms. Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, and Poland all want the war over ASAP; the first three are battlefronts, and Poland is occupied. None of them, or Britain, have any confidence that they can put down even the weakened German army; nor are they sure the Germans couldn't make another devastating deep strike, this time without getting cut off.

Both sides are in a position where by shouting and pounding the table they could have each others' watch. Neither wants to risk that.

The other issue is that while the Gestapo were amateurs by comparison with the NKVD, they weren't too bad overall when they knew what they were looking for. Germany was riddled with people who would inform for the Nazi party, so now that they're looking for "plots" the chances are good they'll find at least some real ones and then start looking for more.

What would be most likely is that the Gestapo will be swamped with reports of "disloyalty" and "defeatism" and "treasonous plots".

No I disagree there won't be lenient term on Germany especially from France. No french government will live very long if they give lenient terms to Germany. That's crazy to even think that.

I don't see the Allies trying to dictate harsh terms at this point. The French know that they came perilously close to total defeat, and that they were lucky Paris wasn't wrecked. They need the war over ASAP more than they want draconian terms.
The same applied from about 1916 onwards - and the result was a Versailles treaty that the French thought was "too lenient". Here the Entente powers are in a massively better position than 1916 - and know it. They also have far less trust of the Germans than they did during WW1 - Hitler has after all repeatedly lied in the run up to the war, which the Kaiser never really did.
The other powers are irrelevant - they're essentially French and British clients, albeit ones with quite a bit of sway. They have next to no influence on decisions of war or peace though.

What would be most likely is that the Gestapo will be swamped with reports of "disloyalty" and "defeatism" and "treasonous plots".
Oh, absolutely. I should imagine they'll be like a dog with two tails at the thought!

No I disagree there won't be lenient term on Germany especially from France. No french government will live very long if they give lenient terms to Germany. That's crazy to even think that.
Remember also that the press have been making great play of atrocity stories - and this time they're on French soil with the bodies and even occasionally survivors to prove it. There isn't the passion of the early days of WW1, but the French are certainly not willing to go for peace at any price - it has to be a peace that leaves them feeling secure afterwards, and that means a severely weakened Germany.

It's now a dead heat! :D
I'm one vote ahead last I checked. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it - particularly having spent nearly all the poll in third place!

Herr Flick, nice. Always liked the way he answered his phone. :D
"Flick the Gestapo"? I should think that will become a common emotion in some parts of German society before long!

Status
Not open for further replies.