The eagle's left head

Frederick's army of 10,000 men was too small to storm the city and too big for Alexandros to force away.
Wait really? Too strong for Alexandros to force away? In 1308, Achaea , Guy had the same army strength only to be defeated in Mantinea by Philanthopenos and Ioannes. Those Despotate numbers were mainly from Achaean recruitment and Sicilian veterans but here we have the Sicilian & Calabrian pronoia levies to be gathered which should be bigger number than the revolting Peloponnesians.
Anyhow if Theodore reinforces with a sizable part of his army and fleet this situation could easily be reversed.

Arta, February 1316
Another two islands in the fold. Great additions as they are both big , not ravaged by any war and with Greek orthodox majorities. I think @X Oristos will now the number of boats and men that those two will bring , as well as the population and the production that they have. I will guess though to be proven wrong . more than likely both islands would provide for 12-15 galleys at max which is a nice number to have.

Larisa, January 1316
So now that Theodore left those pesky Catalans will strike? They could and they seems stupid enough to do so. Ah the most the can make is pillaging and raiding Corinthia and if they are brave enough Argolis as well cause Corinth won't fall like Larissa. Also any stalling in Corinth might provoke an Imperial campaign to reclaim Larissa and Thessaly.

"Dear uncle Thomas..."

The Vatatzes might be busy elsewhere for the time being, but if Nicholas is as ambitious as OTL, and ITTL one could imagine he could see Epirus as a substitute for his loss of the Palatine county so the murder could happen early, I surmise that would not last. Though on the other hand, without his base of the Palatine County, could Nicholas have the resources to secure even southern Epirus if he were to murder his uncle ?
Much like OTL I suspect, what matters is whether he can secure local support on not....
And things happen as per otl. Joanna ascending the throne would make the calculations of the Vatatzes very interesting. Imagine Ioannes' son marrying Joanna for example.
The would be son, would be first cousins with Charles. So he'll be marrying his niece? Not allowed by church. Now the papacy was granting around dispensations for the right price but the orthodox too matters more seriously.
Alfonso isn't capable of dealing with Achaea rn and Theodore's navy will eventually be able to come to crush his pitiful navy even if Theodore's navy leaves to crush Frederick's navy first.
He isn't? I wouldn't be making assumptions so fast.
I could see alfonso using that opportunity to attempt and invasion of Achaea tho. The Byzantine and Vatatzes armies should hold the line, but still...

I wonder would the Vatatzes attempt to take over Cyprus and various Aragonese possessions. They are at war with Frederick, their nominal ally after all.
Cyprus isn't Aragonese at the moment.
The time of pike and shot is quickly coming, and the Swiss are definitely going to be part of it as per otl. I just wonder how would the Swiss confederates evolve ittl.
Properly speaking it is a quarter century away. Pikes, crossbows and longbows are a different matter though...

Wait really? Too strong for Alexandros to force away? In 1308, Achaea , Guy had the same army strength only to be defeated in Mantinea by Philanthopenos and Ioannes. Those Despotate numbers were mainly from Achaean recruitment and Sicilian veterans but here we have the Sicilian & Calabrian pronoia levies to be gathered which should be bigger number than the revolting Peloponnesians.
Anyhow if Theodore reinforces with a sizable part of his army and fleet this situation could easily be reversed.
Next you'll tell us Alexandros is deliberately letting Frederick besiege Syracuse. :angel:

Another two islands in the fold. Great additions as they are both big , not ravaged by any war and with Greek orthodox majorities. I think @X Oristos will now the number of boats and men that those two will bring , as well as the population and the production that they have. I will guess though to be proven wrong . more than likely both islands would provide for 12-15 galleys at max which is a nice number to have.
Call it about 30,000 people between them. Half a dozen galleys may be closer to the economic output of the islands.

So now that Theodore left those pesky Catalans will strike? They could and they seems stupid enough to do so. Ah the most the can make is pillaging and raiding Corinthia and if they are brave enough Argolis as well cause Corinth won't fall like Larissa. Also any stalling in Corinth might provoke an Imperial campaign to reclaim Larissa and Thessaly.
Theodore hasn't left Peloponnese. Yet at least. But what better time to invade?

Call it about 30,000 people between them. Half a dozen galleys may be closer to the economic output of the islands.
Wow, those islands are bigger than the Cyclades ones so I though they could about the same amount of galleys. I guess size isn't the most important aspect ;)

Part 36
Rhodes, March 1316

Leo Kalothetos sook hands with Foulques de Villaret. Theodore wanted to take his entire fleet west but was very much aware of the danger piratical raids from the Turkish emirates and the Athenian Catalans could pose to the despotate's coasts. Thus Theodore had turned to the Hospital for support. Leo had initially found the choice odd. But he had to admit it was actually making sense. The relation between the Despotate and the Knights had steadily improved since they had fought side by side at Amorgos and Villaret had run the Knights heavily into debt, so the 100,000 ducats Theodore and Alexandros had offered in five yearly installments were more than welcome. Besides the Hospital closely followed papal policy and while no pope existed at the moment, the Holy See was traditionally supporting the Angevins over the Catalans and Alexandros now was effectively fighting on the Angevin side. And if as Theodore had slyly commented the knights were less likely to become unmanageable, unlike Venice or Genoa... why he was right about it was he not?

Messina, April 1316

Dozens of war galleys and transports reached the port. Theodore was back in Sicily, back in force. Within two days he would be marching at the head of four thousand men including five hundred heavy and as many light horse to join his uncle's army at Etna. Ioannis would wait another couple of days before he took the join fleet of the Despotate of Sicily south.

Corinth, May 1316

Alfonso, looked, not without concern at the Acrocorinth. He had signed a truce with John II of Thessaly and then led his army south. But you couldn't invade Achaea before first reducing Corinth. And this didn't look to be an easy task...

Syracuse, May 1st, 1316

The siege had entered its tenth month the previous week. The besieged were not showing any sign of giving up and surrendering but, Frederick was not giving any sign of giving up either, despite his army and fleet steadily losing men to disease and raids. After all his forces might had not been able to cut off all supplies to the city but it was being kept under blockade for nearly a year by now. Surely Syracusan supplies would run out sooner rather than later. Then runners came to Frederick's camp that dozens of sails had been detected coming from the east. Frederick had time only to rush to join his men in the fleet.

Epipolae, Syracuse, May 2nd, 1316

Sicilian soldiers put to fire their siege engines, there was no time to dismantle them. The previous day the fleet of the kingdom of Sicily, 45 galleys strong had been caught between the fortifications of the Grand Harbor and the fleet of the Despotate of Sicily under Ioannis Vatatzes with 70 galleys. None could say the Sicilians of the kingdom had not given a good account of themselves, the despotate's fleet had lost over a dozen galleys. But the kingdom's fleet had been decimated losing 29 galleys and over six thousand men. And Ioannis fleet had been fighting right outside the Grand Harbor. Damaged ships had found refuge there right away and yet more boats and ships had been there to save men from lost ships from drowning. Frederick had survived the battle only to receive more bad news as soon as he was on land. Philanthropenos was fast approaching Syracuse from the north at the head of an army, his scouts claimed to be thousands of men threatening to catch Frederick between him and Alexander. And thus Frederick had ordered to lift the siege with all haste and march west to escape the danger.

Maroglio river, Sicily, May 9th, 1316

Frederick had retreated towards Gela to give him some distance from Philanthropenos army. His quick retreat from Syracuse had allowed him to escape the trap Alexios and Alexandros had set for him, but had allowed his two opponents to join forces and come after his retreating army, forcing him to battle. Frederick has nearly a thousand knights, about as many as Alexandros, in addition to 1,500 jinetes, Spanish light cavalry and over seven thousand infantry including a large number of almogavars. But Alexandros for once outnumbers his opponent thanks to the reinforcements brought by Theodore, with over ten thousand infantry, including three thousand pikemen and 14,000 men overall. Both men, not without reason have confidence in the quality of their armies. It is numbers, Philanthropenos superior talent and the inability of Frederick's cavalry to deal with the Greek pikemen, never before met in a western battlefield, that decide the battle. Alexandros does lose about a thousand men but by the time the pursuit is over Frederick's army has lost four times as many.

Gela, May 12th, 1316

Alexandros looked at the small delegation that had come from the town.

"So have you come to discuss..."

The words were cut short as the misericorde suddenly flashed in the hand of the third delegate and he jumped on the despot, under the horrified looks of the other two envoys. By the time Alexandros bodyguards and Ioannis had subdued the assailant it would be too late. Alexandros, would die less than an hour later from the bleeding. The assassin would claim under interrogation that he was in his right to kill Alexandros as the Sicilian parliament had condemned him to death. Frederick would give credence to the claim by giving the assassin, or rather his heirs, a pension for services rendered the kingdom. Ioannis and Theodore, unimpressed by the argument would execute him for regicide...

First Frederick survives and escapes a crushing defeat at sea which had horrible casualty figures. Then he escapes the trap. Then he survives and escapes a defeat on land. Meanwhile, the paranoid Alexandros gets killed at a parlay. This is getting a little overly dramatic and not well grounded.

Stranger things have happened irl tbf
Indeed, but I'd have expected that Vatatzes, should had been aware of at least of the possibility that in the somewhat classic Mediaeval fashion way to deal with enemy leaders under parlay/truce 'flag', that somebody could have tried to kill him...
Nevertheless, now, for the surviving Vatatzés, the war has just turned personal and they would be out for Frederick's blood...

Last edited:
Frederick would give credence to the claim by giving the assassin, or rather his heirs, a pension for services rendered the kingdom.
Hmm... Nose cut and starved to death in a dark cell somewhere in Syracuse I imagine, in byzantine fashion for purple bloods.

The Despot is dead, long live the Despot! I am guessing they will put Frederick and his heirs to the chopping block and officially take the throne now.

Last edited:
Maroglio river, Sicily, May 9th, 1316
When I saw the title, I quickly googled the river. I had thought that is might have been a modern name for the ancient Assinarus river. It would have been interesting if Nikias and Frederick had been caught at the same spot.

And so Alexandros, son and grandson of Emperors, forger of a new realm has passed. The Vatatzean Despotate is a major regional power, second only to Naples - at least for the time being. Let's see now how his sons will rule the heterogenous realm.

An inglorious death for such a great man and ruler. However Frederick has signed his death penalty. When does his truce with Robert ends, January 1317?

Well, we're going to see Frederick and his barons be wiped off Sicily aren't we, with the Vatatzes being the Dukes of Sicily in Robert's empire aren't they?

I defo could see Robert begrudgingly giving the lands to the Vatatzes bc they'd be the main reason why the Angevins have Sicily and parts of Greece under their nominal control, and if Joanna of Naples ascends the throne as per otl I can see the Vatatzes taking advantage and seizing all of Naples.

I really wonder what the policy of Ioannes would be tho. His realms put him as a middle power within Europe, and while his armies are great especially when under good leaders they're not invincible either. I do think he can punch up his weight tho and break much larger armies.

PS I wonder how would the Knights Hospitaler evolve ittl. If they become more and more Greek and orthodox it'd be hilarious.

Well, we're going to see Frederick and his barons be wiped off Sicily aren't we, with the Vatatzes being the Dukes of Sicily in Robert's empire aren't they?

I defo could see Robert begrudgingly giving the lands to the Vatatzes bc they'd be the main reason why the Angevins have Sicily and parts of Greece under their nominal control, and if Joanna of Naples ascends the throne as per otl I can see the Vatatzes taking advantage and seizing all of Naples.

I really wonder what the policy of Ioannes would be tho. His realms put him as a middle power within Europe, and while his armies are great especially when under good leaders they're not invincible either. I do think he can punch up his weight tho and break much larger armies.

PS I wonder how would the Knights Hospitaler evolve ittl. If they become more and more Greek and orthodox it'd be hilarious.
I think it’s time they declare themselves Kings of Sicily.This whole affairs shows that bowing to other rulers inevitably runs into problems.

Last edited:
I think it’s time they declare themselves Kings of Sicily.This whole affairs shows that bowing to other rulers inevitably runs into problems.
Prob not until we get a female (Joanna) or another family on the throne. The Vatatzes are claimants of the Kingdom of Sicily which includes all of the Kingdom of Naples, so the second they claim to be kings of Sicily they are invalidating the Angevins' claim to the throne too.

Prob not until we get a female (Joanna) or another family on the throne. The Vatatzes are claimants of the Kingdom of Sicily which includes all of the Kingdom of Naples, so the second they claim to be kings of Sicily they are invalidating the Angevins' claim to the throne too.
The Angevins have de facto given up on the throne of Sicily(Trinacria). They didn’t even protest Frederick declaring his own son heir to Trinacria/Sicily in violation of the earlier treaty.