Varna Crusade Victorious: The Second Coming of the Conquest Armies.

Addendum: I never expected this timeline to get this popular... and considering my distinct limitations as a writer of Alt-History, I'd like to ask for your help in making this timeline even better with your own writings. I'm now taking in submissions for addition content for the timeline! So long as it fits within the flow of the timeline (and if there is anything that doesn't work for what I have intended for the future of the timeline I'll bounce it back to you and we'll workshop it until it works). I prefer a history book style of writing, but if you send a narration style I might just include it anyway.

You can send me your submissions or questions via Private Messages.

This will be a map-centric (probably mini) timeline where I will post maps depicting Anatolia and the Balkans and perhaps expanding to a global map at some point.

The timeline, as the title suggests involves a Crusader Victory in the Varna Crusade in the early 1440s against the Ottomans. The biggest point of contention between me and y'all will be the post-Crusade settlement, but I will attempt to explain myself in as believable manner as I can.

First, let me explain my world view when it comes to ALT-History so that we can all be on the same page.

I believe so long as you take into account the historical context surrounding the PoD and can give a believable enough explanation for what's happened that's good enough. Ultimately in Alternate History a PoD could go into almost any direction. Is my scenario the only possible scenario for a successful Varna Crusade? Absolutely not! You could come up with a totally different scenario and I'd totally read it because it'd probably be way better than mine! This is just one madman's interpretation of what would happen and most assuredly reasonable people will disagree. It also won't be particularly detailed so there's that. The goal for me with this timeline was to have a fun mental exercise.

Also, generally speaking, I tend to be fairly conservative in how things play out outside of the immediate area affected by the PoD. For this timeline that would be Anatolia, the Balkans (not just south of the Danube) and with Italy acting as a sort of grey area. The exception being if I decide to throw in a curve ball (remember, this is for fun).

I'll post the first map sometime today (or at the very least this week). Right now, it's after 4AM local time and I need to get some sleep.

Last edited:
1500 AD Part I - The Balkan Crusade
Varna Crusade - Crusader Victory - 1500 AD 2.png

The Battle of Varna - PoD

Varna was a bloody close run battle that easily could've seen the Crusaders defeated by the Ottomans, however, due to a timely charge from the King of Poland-Lithuania-Hungary (which saw him wounded, but not mortally) and the death of the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed II, which would plunge the Ottoman Sultanate into yet another bloody Interregnum, for the second time in the century that they would never recover from, the Crusaders would emerge victorious.

The Balkan Crusade - Aftermath and Settlement

The Balkan Crusade would prove to be among the most important events of the era, singling the end of the Medieval Age in the Balkans and Anatolia, which signaled the slow decline of the Roman State, and the beginning of the Early Modern Period, which saw the fiery rebirth of the Roman Empire onto the World Stage...

Often the wheels of history turn on major global events such as the Black Death of the previous century and mankind is shown to be weak and feeble creatures in the face of eternity. Sometimes however, mankind grabs fate by the short hairs and demands to see its manager! Sometimes the fate of entire continents are decided by a single man. This is one of those times! Introducing Władysław III, King of Poland, Hungary and Croatia, and Grand Duke of Lithuania.

Many in the Crusader camp pushed for carving out a new Crusader Realm out of the Balkan territories taken from the Ottomans and only making minor concessions in Thrace and Southern Greece to the Palaiologoi in Constantinople. Perhaps they could even carry on the fight into Anatolia? Władysław, however, disagreed. Władysław appeared to have wisdom beyond his years. He would choose instead to cede all territory taken from the Ottomans south of the Danube to the Romans (the forts occupied by the Ottomans on the north bank of the Danube would be ceded back to Wallachia) on the proviso that the Romans would grant John Hunyadi "lands and titles befitting his station."

This absurdly generous offer was made for a number of reasons:

1) Władysław knew his history well. He knew Crusader realms never did well in the East and any Balkan Crusader Kingdom would likely have a rather short lifespan. It'd most likely be moribund by the end of the century in any case.

2) Creating a Crusader Kingdom in the Balkans would only serve to antagonize Constantinople which, even in its weakened form, is still an important center of Christianity. This could endanger current efforts at restoring Church Unity.

3) By ceding the former lands of the Empire of the East back to Constantinople, it would be seen as a selfless act, boosting his credentials as a pious Christian ruler simply doing his duty to his God. Strengthening his position around Europe and within his own realm.

4) By ceding everything south of the Danube to the Romans he instead potentially boosts the chances of a successful Church Reunion. "Latin Crusaders saving the beleaguered Eastern Empire from destruction"? The Reunion practically sells itself!

5) A disunited and weak Balkans at its own throat (OoC: Crazy thought, I know, lol) would leave it vulnerable to another Turkish take over sometime in the future. By giving everything to Constantinople, it created a unified Balkans that acted as a bulwark against a Turkish resurgence, protecting his southern flank.

6) By guaranteeing lands to John Hunyadi from the Romans he was rewarding a loyal lieutenant and a popular war hero across Christendom, while also putting an ally in the court of Constantinople, further securing friendship with his southern neighbor.

There absolutely was grumbling among the Crusader Camp. They gave their pound of flesh and they wanted something for it. In order to prevent this grumbling from becoming anything more... explosive, Władysław would turn to the Papal representative to accede to the settlement, which they gladly did. Church Reunion had been a major issue to Rome on and off for centuries and this would greatly boost the chances of it finally happening (and actually sticking this time), plus, the Papacy was never particularly thrilled over carving out new kingdoms and principalities out of former Imperial lands and plundering fellow Christian lands.

As for Constantinople? They practically tripped over themselves in the effort to accept! With minimal effort they were able to restore their Northern frontier to mostly how it was during Alexios the Great's reign? Sign us the heck up!

Of course, it would take the Romans a number of years to fully reoccupy this new (old) territory, especially with the start of the Anatolian Crusade in a few years...

Last edited:
I love this Map TL, great that the ERE is going through a revival, Anatolia intrigues me with the collapse of the Ottomans. All those Turkish states will be busy fighting themselves/fending of ambitions Persians/doing the occasional raid on the Romans. If the Empire are hardcore on taking back Anatolia, I see it being split between the Romans and Persians, that'll be fun to explore if the age old rivalry flares up 🤣🤣.

Keep up the amazing work 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Is the deep purple in Anatolia controlled by the Romans (land set aside for Romanization)? Is it still held by the Ottomans or it's successor?

Honestly, this TL has the potential to be a Shi'ism-wank if the Safavids still rise up, especially as the Mamluks were kinda on the way out when the Ottomans conquered them.

Honestly, Wladek going with this choice isn't the worst idea. As King of Poland-Lithuania, he already rules over a large Orthodox population he might be disinclined to antagonize, and after the first big Hussite War and the ongoing struggles with the Teutonic Knights, the last thing Poland-Lithuania needs is religious war and a rising Islamic power on its southeastern flank. A struggle between Poland-Lithuania-Hungary and the proto-Austrian state/HRE is likely, and getting Papal friends and a friend to his east can only be a good move.

EDIT: Keep in mind, of course, that as far as the Emperor, the Patriarch, and the Papacy are concerned, the churches are united--so any action they take against recalcitrant Greeks is merely a punishment for disobedience. A lot of the Orthodox might have differing opinions; Serbia will be a pain in the backside.

Last edited:
View attachment 903763

The Battle of Varna - PoD

Varna was a bloody close run battle that easily could've seen the Crusaders defeated by the Ottomans, however, due to a timely charge from the King of Poland-Lithuania-Hungary (which saw him wounded, but not mortally) and the death of the Ottoman Sultan Murad II, which would plunge the Ottoman Sultanate into yet another bloody Interregnum, for the second time in the century that they would never recover from, the Crusaders would emerge victorious.

The Balkan Crusade - Aftermath and Settlement

The Balkan Crusade would prove to be among the most important events of the era, singling the end of the Medieval Age in the Balkans and Anatolia, which signaled the slow decline of the Roman State, and the beginning of the Early Modern Period, which saw the fiery rebirth of the Roman Empire onto the World Stage...

Often the wheels of history turn on major global events such as the Black Death of the previous century and mankind is shown to be weak and feeble creatures in the face of eternity. Sometimes however, mankind grabs fate by the short hairs and demands to see its manager! Sometimes the fate of entire continents are decided by a single man. This is one of those times! Introducing Władysław III, King of Poland, Hungary and Croatia, and Grand Duke of Lithuania.

Many in the Crusader camp pushed for carving out a new Crusader Realm out of the Balkan territories taken from the Ottomans and only making minor concessions in Thrace and Southern Greece to the Palaiologoi in Constantinople. Perhaps they could even carry on the fight into Anatolia? Władysław, however, disagreed. Władysław appeared to have wisdom beyond his years. He would choose instead to cede all territory taken from the Ottomans south of the Danube to the Romans (the forts occupied by the Ottomans on the north bank of the Danube would be ceded back to Wallachia) on the proviso that the Romans would grant John Hunyadi "lands and titles befitting his station."

This absurdly generous offer was made for a number of reasons:

1) Władysław knew his history well. He knew Crusader realms never did well in the East and any Balkan Crusader Kingdom would likely have a rather short lifespan. It'd most likely be moribund by the end of the century in any case.

2) Creating a Crusader Kingdom in the Balkans would only serve to antagonize Constantinople which, even in its weakened form, is still an important center of Christianity. This could endanger current efforts at restoring Church Unity.

3) By ceding the former lands of the Empire of the East back to Constantinople, it would be seen as a selfless act, boosting his credentials as a pious Christian ruler simply doing his duty to his God. Strengthening his position around Europe and within his own realm.

4) By ceding everything south of the Danube to the Romans he instead potentially boosts the chances of a successful Church Reunion. "Latin Crusaders saving the beleaguered Eastern Empire from destruction"? The Reunion practically sells itself!

5) A disunited and weak Balkans at its own throat (OoC: Crazy thought, I know, lol) would leave it vulnerable to another Turkish take over sometime in the future. By giving everything to Constantinople, it created a unified Balkans that acted as a bulwark against a Turkish resurgence, protecting his southern flank.

6) By guaranteeing lands to John Hunyadi from the Romans he was rewarding a loyal lieutenant and a popular war hero across Christendom, while also putting an ally in the court of Constantinople, further securing friendship with his southern neighbor.

There absolutely was grumbling among the Crusader Camp. They gave their pound of flesh and they wanted something for it. In order to prevent this grumbling from becoming anything more... explosive, Władysław would turn to the Papal representative to accede to the settlement, which they gladly did. Church Reunion had been a major issue to Rome on and off for centuries and this would greatly boost the chances of it finally happening (and actually sticking this time), plus, the Papacy was never particularly thrilled over carving out new kingdoms and principalities out of former Imperial lands and plundering fellow Christian lands.

As for Constantinople? They practically tripped over themselves in the effort to accept! With minimal effort they were able to restore their Northern frontier to mostly how it was during Alexios the Great's reign? Sign us the heck up!

Of course, it would take the Romans a number of years to fully reoccupy this new (old) territory, especially with the start of the Anatolian Crusade in a few years...
That Looks AMAZING! GO EASTERN ROME!

Yep, John VIII can spend the last years of his reign in peace while Constantine XI can build on the foundation!
Hopefully Constantine XI has children to succeed him. It would be nice if the Empire finally stops with civil wars/rebellions/etc. that always seem to plague them.

I hope so too!
TTL sees the Empire gain the reputation of being a state that never falls, no matter how bad the situation looks. Now I'm imagining the Romans just chilling while the rest of Europe is going through the Reformation (if it even happens TTL). They can finally eat the popcorn while everyone else is killing each other 🤣🤣🤣.

TTL sees the Empire gain the reputation of being a state that never falls, no matter how bad the situation looks. Now I'm imagining the Romans just chilling while the rest of Europe is going through the Reformation (if it even happens TTL). They can finally eat the popcorn while everyone else is killing each other 🤣🤣🤣.
At least until the Safavid Empire, with no Ottomans, disrupts their little party.

At least until the Safavid Empire, with no Ottomans, disrupts their little party.
The two empires come to a deal: leave Anatolia to the Romans while the Levant/Mesopotamia/Egypt (maybe) falls under complete Safavid domination. Now that would be interesting to think about 🤣🤣

That Looks AMAZING! GO EASTERN ROME!
Fun Fact: I completely pull that out of my ass in the moment. There was no editing. Minimal research, just what I happened to know about the Varna Crusade based on what I heard online.

Papal intrigue will be very interesting, do we have characters like the Borgias and Alexander VI?
I know very little about the history of the Papacy, including in this era. Any help here would be appreciated.

But suffice it to say, the Papacy will play a role in the timeline going forward.

Classic Safavid/Roman rivarly, but i can see tham just like with the ottomans, the occasional war but nothing empire breaking.
Considering that aside from the "Final" Roman-Persian War in the 7th Century most wars between the two powers were limited to the taking of border cities and forts, I imagine the same will play out here.

The two empires come to a deal: leave Anatolia to the Romans while the Levant/Mesopotamia/Egypt (maybe) falls under complete Safavid domination. Now that would be interesting to think about 🤣🤣
There's no way the Romans would ever agree to such a deal. Even OTL, prior to Manzikert, the Romans always strove to prevent one power from controlling the whole region. They determinedly maintained a balance of power, to the point where Basil II raced across Anatolia, while he was at war in the Balkans, to deal with a Fatimid threat to Aleppo and Antioch.

Also, these Romans are having a... spiritual reawakening as it were...

Hint: There's a reason why I named the timeline like I did. It'll be explained soon enough.